Friday, September 16, 2011

A Sneak Peek at Shaken and Stirred Featuring APATHY ANGEL


As we settle into the lusty months of autumn, we're keeping things hot down at the Delancey. Join us this week when we feature the sleek and sexy APATHY ANGEL with special guests LUCILLE TE AMORE and BETTINA MAY! Giving great face on the gogo stage is none other than STELLA CHUU and making her Sugar Shack Burlesque debut is PHARA WAY! As always, hosted by Team Sugar Shack: RUNAROUND SUE, SCOOTER PIE and DJ JESS! Free shots served after selected Burlesque sets...and plenty plenty plenty of opportunities for you too, our dear audience, to get yourself on stage. Bring your friends, your lovers and everyone in between.

And now for last week's weekly recap by Ms. Scooter Pie and one Goodbye Letter:

Last night was gorgeous, wild, and truly stirring- a consummate Shaken & Stirred evening for the books. Jonny Porkpie rapped- holy crap, it was amazing. The gorgeous Stella Chuu made her debut, a tribute to Tron. Beloved gogo sensation Cookie Cutter, in town from Austin, won our hearts all night to the beat of DJ Jess' selections. Our featured performer was Legs Malone, fresh off a European tour and blowing our minds as ever. Hazel Honeysuckle was a super lovely caboose to cap off the evening. We also had some mega excellent talent onstage during our dance contest. I totally could not stop dancing all night- it was great to be back! XOXO


I, Scooter Pie, have had an incredible past year and a half as associate producer of Shaken & Stirred. RunAround Sue is a mutha-f'in genius who has taught me so much about taking on the world with grace and kindness, and lots about putting on a show. DJ Jess has made me want to never ever stop dancing- his sets are more fierce and fun every week. It is with great already-forming nostalgia that I prepare to bid a fond farewell to these kids and all of our wild Wednesday nights together as I take some time off to prepare for new performing ventures. Before Team S&S starts to carry on without me in October, join me, won't you, on Sept. 28 to dance it out with me one last time!! Much, much love- SP


And now, on to a Sneak Peek of our featured dancer for next week's Danceparty:

APATHY ANGEL

1. What do you feel is an essential quality in a performer?



An ability to be vulnerable in front of complete strangers. I think in order to be a great performer, someone that people really remember and WANT to watch, you have to be able to take yourself onstage to a place you might not be able to in real life - whether it's sexual, comedic, dramatic, etc. You have to want to open up and give whatever emotions you have to the audience without any fear of judgement. A love of the stage, basically.





2. What do you do to stay motivated?



I try to never get ahead of myself. That is, never allow myself to get to a place where I feel totally comfortable - I'm always trying to challenge myself, do something I haven't done before, or perfect what I already have. I think as an artist, allowing yourself to think you've finally "finished" something is a death sentence. Creation is all about constant change - being willing to tear things down and build new foundations. That said, I love watching others perform and see how they tackle things. Meeting new performers, seeing new shows, reading and watching films and viewing art - you have to keep all channels open, otherwise you risk cocooning yourself and suffocating. Isolation leads to "making art for the artist" and that always leads to flat performances.





3. What is one thing you wish people had told you when you first started performing?



Buy stock in Magna-Tac, haha!




4. What are you reading these days and why?



Not working on anything at the moment, however I'm DYING to get my hands on a copy of Mygale by Thierry Jonquet (Pedro Almodovar's newest film "The Skin I Live In" is based off this novella) as well as Mark Twain's autobiography (which, per his instructions was published 100 years after his death).



5. Do you have a favorite joke?




What is the meaning of life?



6. Please distill your life philosophy into either a couplet or haiku:



Can I give you a couple of quotes instead? (I am hopeless at haiku!)

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."

and

"If not now, when?"



7. How can the people find out more about you?


Anyone who is interested in what Apathy Angel is up to or planning can always check my website at www.apathyangelnyc.com! Of course, there is always Facebook (www.facebook.com/apathy.aoki) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/ApathyAngel) if anyone is interested in the minute, ridiculous nonsense that pops into my head and out of my mouth on a daily basis!


See you on the dancefloor Sweethearts <3 RAS

No comments:

Post a Comment